Friday, May 10, 2013

A Stange Day in July




               This is a story written in response to a photograph of two children skipping rocks by a lake. It had a caption that is reused in my first line which I expanded on in order to complete an assignment that required me to write a "creepy" story. I feel like I have successfully done this and hope I won't give you nightmares.
 

             He threw with all his might but the third stone came skipping back. He stood there, staring at the rock that just landed between his feet. Dumfounded was the only word that could have described him at that moment. Raising his head, he locked eyes with his sister and was met with a mirrored look of confusion and fright. Like the curious cat, he picked up another rock and skipped it across the foggy water and into the darkening depths only to have it sent back to him. His sister, eagerly wanted to leave, tugging at his arm, “I’m scared Jonathan.”

               “It will be fine Juliette,” he comforted her, “Watch.” And he reached for a rather robust rock that lay in the sand not 20 feet away.

                “Don’t!” exclaimed Juliette.

                “Trust me. There’s no way this one’s coming back.” And he hurled it into the water. “See, nothing!”

                A pale light began to illuminate the water near where the rock had submerged. “I told you!” Juliette screamed as she began to run up the sand bank away from the water, leaving Jonathan standing there like a deer in the headlights. She looked back in time to see what seemed like a mountain shooting out of the water. The night went pitch black as the boulder shrouded the moon. In the darkness she stumbled and fell. When she picked herself up she gazed hopelessly at what must have been a two ton rock resting on the bank where she thought her brother had stood, and where she now knew he laid.

1 comment: